Monday, April 16, 2007

Lady by the lake

You are all Kenyans to me!

This was costume number #3 in a series. Katy went through a 8 hour quest to cheer each and every single runner in the Canberra marathon. At 6am, an hour before the start, Katy dragged a huge suitcase out to her chosen position.

Every single runner from start to finish!


That's me on the left, without cheeks exposed below a short pink cocktail dress painted with a spoon in our hotel room a few nights before.

Oh, the marathon .......

Well, I executed my 3:10 race plan and was 20 to 30 seconds ahead of time at the maximum according to my splits. By "ahead", I mean that was ahead of schedule. My half split was 1:35:20. I intended to run 4:40 for the first five and then 4:30 min/k after that. I was targeting 1:35:50. Somewhere after about 30K, I slowed by about 10 seconds per K .... I'll graph it later. I never blew out, but for the last 10K was hurting. I calculated that I would be close to running a PB at the 36K mark, and so started the chase to finish under 3:16:05 ..........

to be continued

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy moly! RunnerSusan was there?!

8:51 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Those cheeks are scarily familiar. So were the udders.

9:31 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

tbc? come on we want to know the whole story!!! Loved Katy's cheering outfits!

11:20 pm  
Blogger Bolder said...

DID YOU QUALIFY?????????????????

stop being a big tease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:05 am  
Blogger Habeela said...

The costume is awesome! And you made your splits in that?

1:22 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

Was there a marathon? I thought it was a fancy dress comp with one entrant and over a thousand specatators turned out.

Great spectating on your part by the way :)

6:02 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

That Katy is the BEST!!!

Oh, and you're ok, too. ;)

6:24 am  
Blogger massoman said...

i echo bold...did you do it, you good for nothing teaser!?

katy knocks me out

10:54 am  
Blogger Mat said...

And, and, and... Oh yeah, I already know the ending. I was there. Still, I wanna hear all the gory details of those last 6k's. Continue :-)

Katy's such a hoot. The whole thing provided me with heaps of distracted thought time, trying to work out how she managed those costume changes.

3:43 pm  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

LOL...i had read all about...and now seeing the photos...what a crack up, pardon the easy pun. oh, there's anohter one - about those splits you worked out?? congrats Mark on a great run and Katy on a great support!!

5:52 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

Katy was the absolute, most outstanding 4 person cheer squad. Kasty rules.

Oh! by the way Toasty congratulations on another excellent marathon.

8:50 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

You guys are hilarious.

Katy, what great outfits and support.
Better than the outfits was your determination to stay out there until the very last runner had come in. THAT is more dedication than some runners (like me) have!!!

Toasty, the reason you didn't go sub 3:10 was because you didnt' write my name on your arm. You must have forgot :) Next time....

A great run and a great result. Only 15sec....I mean comeon its not that much....can't we just call it your CANBERRA PB??

11:06 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe you're going to make me look up the results. Sounds like the first half was just about right on schedule. I hope the second had a good finish.

11:18 am  
Blogger Phil said...

Fantastic time! That last 10K hurts no matter how well trained you are. Great run.

3:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home