Thursday, March 15, 2007

Putting an End to it all



Today is the end of
Finish one job, get ready for another, fly to Melbourne, hang out with the croutons, catch up with your parents, drop the long run but run a little harder and end with a colonoscopy, week


After several long car trips, getting to the various places to chill with the croutons, like the science museum and motor show, I am now up to date on all the latest "music". I got the run down on Akon, that Hinder will be a one hit wonder and how cool GC's new album is going to be (Good Charlotte). I got the GC (Good Chocolate) for ihatetoast .... ahem ... if you happen to go past KOKO Black and the had a GC (Good Catchup)with my parents playing cards and drinking coffee down at the jetty.



Sunday morning I snuck out at 5am for a 24K FF (Fast Finish) meandering over undulating hills in the dark. It was a little chilly compared to what I am used to. Tuesday I hammered a 6K Tempo and backed up Wednesday with a 21K GP (Marathon Goal Pace). Stats were this:

Sunday - 2:04 hours 24K 5:12/km - last 4 K's 4:26, 4:21, 4:14 and 4:05
Tuesday - 6K warmup, 6K Tempo 24:51 with 5K @ 20:49 (4:08/km), 1K cooldown
Wednesday - 1:38 hours 21K 4:41/km: splits
4:53, 4:45, 5:00, 4:47, 4:41, 4:44, 4:46, 4:55, 4:39, 4:44, 4:39, 4:37, 4:37, 4:51, 4:27, 4:38, 4:45, 4:38, 4:27, 4:36, 4:02

I skipped 2-3 sessions this week and ran middle distance efforts a little harder than normal. This leaves two big weeks before I taper. It will start on Saturday with 35K FF and the last long run on the following weekend. I spent some time studying programs and feel that a double Tempo on a Monday evening will work for me. That is, 20 minutes hard, jog recovery and then another 20 minutes hard. Apparently this teaches you to maintain speed when fatigued. Oh ... I learn some new abbreviations like "FF" and "WH" with hills donchano.

Injuries = none (although my ankle aches after the longer runs)

Colonoscopy Result = GC, all Good, all Clear, come back in 5 years. I just can't wait to have the special batch of drinks the night before again.

CJ and Goeff conquered the 6ft Track on the weekend and should be as proud of themselves as I am of them ... way to go, both of you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Whow Toasty! Good news all round. It's all coming together pretty well for you. The 21K on Wednesday must have been a real confidence booster. Looks like you are on track for the new goal of 3:10.

9:04 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

sounds like a pretty good week to me!

1:25 am  
Blogger admin said...

quote:last 4 K's 4:26, 4:21, 4:14 and 4:05

way to go man! That's exactly what sharpens your marathontraining! I practice the same: long slow runs with the last 5 k in marathon race speed (as far as that is still possible) keep on the good (speed) work!

6:59 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

YEAH TOAST!!!

Its all coming together perfectly for the big day, looks like you will peak at the right time.

And if you can do 3:10 in Canberra what about the GC!

11:44 am  
Blogger CJ said...

Thanks Toasty - now to back up for Canberra. If todays run was any indicator - I have a way to go!

Also thanks for your ideas on training too - I like the reverse taper/taper thingy so will give it a go...if I can muster up the energy!

9:09 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

What's up? I remember that river. Didn't get to see toxic LA though. Unless you call the Metro toxic.

9:26 pm  
Blogger Runner Susan said...

sounds groovy to me . . . glad you're all clear

8:54 am  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

oh, i thought FF and WH was the noises one made when...oh, doesn't matter.
will be in Melb quite bit b/w/ now and June - might give you a call to see if you want to run. I'll bring the beenies. although at those paces, i must leave you for the last 4k.
good news on the periscope (a little neologism for ya).

5:13 pm  
Blogger Mat said...

Arh, I see you plan. Nothing like a couple of bottles of Fleet to get you to run faster.

10:50 am  
Blogger psbowe said...

Wow, I guess I'm so behind on reading the blogs...but glad to learn that everything is great for you!

4:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am glad you learnt somthing Dad. i leant abit about your music too.
GC are a cool as band, by the way!

love you Dad

Clare

5:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home