Friday, March 09, 2007

Last deep breath before the final climb to the summit.



Bags are packed, ready for my flight and long weekend down in Croutopia. I'm also about to fly the coup, leaving my job today (new job starts Monday in the week after next). One more day. Note to self: Keep mouth shut and just get the hell out of that place.

Saturday, instead of my long run, I'll be building a volcano with Andrew Crouton as part of his science project. Clare Crouton wants to see something educational, so I'm thinking a Museum or Art Gallery.

I ran 16K at 4:40 pace last night and felt strong and comfortable. I am a bit lost with my training, since Clairie will be backing off from a full assault on the Canberra Marathon. I needed to adjust my goals and have become very aware that I'm all alone on my runs now. I had to decide if I was to go hard or back off and pace a slower group for this marathon.

Katy said to go for it, and my gut feel told me that that is what I had to do. I revised my goals, from being alongside Clairie crossing a 3:19, to seeing how close I can get to a sub 3:10. By the way, Clairie and I had that finish time so nailed. If she is willing, I would love to have another go at it, maybe next year?

This week started with a recovery 10K on Sunday, a strong Tempo session on Monday night (including 5K in 21:20), Time Trial Tuesday (3 seconds off my best time last year), Mid-week 20K Wednesday and last nights session at close to marathon pace. With a 24K run on the weekend it will be an 80K (50 mile) week. That makes it a lighter week, down in total distance from last week. When I am back in Bris-Vegas, I will take it up to the max for the last two full weeks over the 100K weekly level and then taper.

Good luck to CJ and Geoff with the 6ft Track on the weekend.

10 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

Have fun with the croutons! 3:10 sounds awesome! Definitely go for it!

7:13 am  
Blogger Clairie said...

You and me mate 2008 it's on. I have my training already programmed to begin on 1st Jan. Can't wait. This will certainly be a long time coming.

Yeah go for the 3:10, I know you have it in you but you have to be lining up at the start with that confidence.

And don't go out too hard - that's you all over. Just work out the pace you need and stick to it all the way. Maybe even a bit slower for the first 5km and a bit faster for the second 5km then back onto pace for the remaining 32.2.km.

Have fun in Melbourne.

8:25 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

We'll miss you tomorrow. We'll leave a spare seat at Poppy's in your honour.

9:02 am  
Blogger Bolder said...

good running!

report back when the away mission is over!!

12:00 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

Come on over... You're a WINNER!!!

Nice chickens ;)

2:26 pm  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

ilikespirit. best of luck going for it Mark, even splits seems to be the conventional wisdom for faster marathon folk. those going for 3hrs but going to hard are bound to be passed by the more controlled you.

6:28 am  
Blogger CJ said...

Thanks Toasty - have run SFT and survived..though there were moments of doubt along the way! And what's scarier is that I'll probably do it again next year. Now its on towards Canberra marathon...after a week off from running, that is!

3:24 pm  
Blogger *jeanne* said...

"Nobody here but us chickens..."

(That's my Name the Blog Photo submission)

GO FOR IT!

:-)

11:53 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Katy's right. Get on your own bus. Perhaps the 3:07:13.

Oh yeah, tell her she needs to take into account the incy wincy screen of youTube for her next production.

6:29 pm  
Blogger Black Knight said...

16K at 4:40 pace are very very fast. Remember you are a clever executioner come back in triumph!

7:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home