Sunday, April 01, 2007

That time again



I have been away and wondering what I might post next. I could record all the details of my runs over the last few weeks. I am not sure that even I want to read that. I find myself with 2 weeks left before the Canberra Marathon. It will be my 11th and again I have the opportunity to run at my best (no injuries and a good preparation). I still got "stuff in the basement". I picked that one up from watching Rocky Balboa on the flight back last Friday night. There is still something there that makes me want to run and see if I can reach the next time goal. So what is that time?

I know the qualifying time for me to run New York is 3:10. I know I am close. Can I do it? is the question on my mind.

I read "Many marathoners obsess on the five- or 10-minute gap between their goal time and the time they "fear" they might actually run" for me that is around the 3:15 mark. You know what? I am going to run 3:10.

3:10

I have done the training. My race strategy is clear in my mind. Running 4:40 min/K until the top of the hill at back of the Parliament building at 5K, then sitting around goal pace of 4:30 until the last bridge. From the last bridge with 5K to go, I finish it off. I have practiced and nailed my marathon pace lately. I'm ready. Bring it on.

There was another scene in the movie that grabbed my attention. Rocky gave a speech to his son and the content was in tune with a philosophy of mine. "Keep moving forward", take the hits but keep working on where you want to be. That is how I got my new job.

I also find scenes involving a father and his kids emotionally moving and was getting choked up. The Croutons are coming on Wednesday, just 2 days after Clare has some teeth out. I plan to take them to the 3K Easter Run on Friday. I have fond memories of doing that last year.



Being away made me think of a few things. I also decided to ride with Katy on Sunday as a recovery session, but more than that to spend some time together that never happens as often as I would like (except when she calls me honey).

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they won't understand what "honey" is. it's not good. i didn't know that until you (el lervemunkee) pointed that out. "honey" usually precedes a complaint or follows passing someone with 2" of buttcrack, a muffin top, and open-mouth smacking of gum or stuff like that.

yeah...

honey? not a good thing.

9:31 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Cool! You can do it :-)

3:10 seems a little tough compared to the 40+ women's time of 3:38. But what seems even crazier is 40+ women can qualify with a half mara of 1:44!

9:50 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

"Don't run with your legs. Run with your heart."

3:10!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11:44 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

3:10 holy shit!!!

You have the heart and the spirit. You just need to freshen up and eat well leading into the race.

No more beer, no more meat pies. (pass em all my way)

Hopefully a week with the croutons will be fun and work towards taking your mind off the race.

Can't believe it is only two weeks now.

My race number is F33. How cool is that (my age). Damn it. oh well.
Okay I have finished talking to myself now :)

8:48 am  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

After a solid tapir like that, you should be able to run 3:09:60. Or even 3:08.120.

8:51 am  
Blogger Rob said...

3:10 is in the bag Toasty.

See you Friday at the Easter Bunny run.

1:21 pm  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

The desire to see what you still can do that "something in the basement" is what drives a lot of us but few make such confident race predictions.

That shows you have big ones, also in the basement area.

Anyway if you need the added motivation you can have Clairie lecture you on the Canberra start line ala Rocky to his son.......
................................
3:11 YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!

2:15 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Thanks for the 'honey' explanation Katy, but I still don't understand.

You can get under 3:10 toasty... however, I'd only do the uphill km in 4:40 - do the early ones in 4:30. Are you confident about negative splitting? If not, perhaps run 93-94 for the first half - that should feel comfortable in this freezing cold weather ;)

8:57 pm  
Blogger Triseverance said...

I am betting on you toast, 3:10 will not be a problem, the mind is a powerful thing.

5:21 am  
Blogger The Salty One said...

I'm going for a 3:10 in two weeks too! I'm also enjoying a tapir, as I type. Good luck!!!

6:03 am  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

3:10 is an awesome time. My PR was 3:19 at 41 (I'm 47 now) and I can't imagine taking 9 more minutes off that. Stay focused and you'll be fine.

6:52 am  
Blogger psbowe said...

Oh yeah, I know you can do it. Just be smart about it and plan well, you'll have this in the bag.

8:29 am  
Blogger Mat said...

>3:10 You can do it!

Well done at the TT. That new PB really confirms you can do this.

10:26 am  
Blogger E-Speed said...

3:10! You will rock it!

1:09 am  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

man, you are strong, tough, and lots of PMA!! not moention a perfect lead up in tersm of training. best wishes to you mate, you will do it if you really want to do it!. and how about that... Rocky still inspriational after all these years.

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home