Tuesday, May 30, 2006

1st Day of School

Today, was like my first day at school. All my life I have been uncomfortable turning up to big gatherings. But it is something I've done over and over again. First day at a new job, first day at school, going away camping, travelling, sporting events, gym, even the "single" scene for the time between marriages. Come to think of it, I have gone out and done many things alone. In reflection, this is when I have had the best times.

I have developed a number of coping strategies for such an occasion.

1. Go straight to the bar and get a drink as if you know where you are
2. Find an isolated stranger and start a conversation

This morning, I was a little lost and apprehensive, with the desire to run away and go back home. The bloke of the left runs a large running group. Despite appearances, he has run 2.09.39 min for the Marathon (1995) and 61.11 for the Half Marathon (1994).

I didn't know anyone until Tesso came up and gave me a hug. It got better from there and I enjoyed the warm up and cool down runs with Chelle. At the end Chelle told be a few things that were so right ... 1. I'd feel good all day ..... 2. I'd want to go to sleep at 3 o'clock. Apart from seeing Robbie, Matty, Phil and Gerard .... Clairie was there! She's the kid who takes your hand and takes you into the classroom, leaving your mum behind. I think she would also be the milk monitor ... thanks for the Up & Go (milky drink that makes me think of Hannah's comment part way through running the 25K Kurrawa race, "My Up & Go is about to Up & Go".

16 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

ha ha - its kinda an oxymoron isnt it 'feel good all day - want to go to sleep at 3pm'. True though isnt it. You should feel good too, that was a brilliant run this morning.
Look forward to seeing you at future TT's maybe :)

7:29 pm  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Great post ILT. But bad outfit...

8:01 pm  
Blogger Toasty said...

ahem ... in my defense, it was my biggest adventure out alone that i met you .... i mean a trip half way across the world solo should count .... and then it was not only the biggest trip alone but the best of times as well

no need to mess with the ipod

8:12 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

Hey Toasty! I am not surprised you had a great time. I have very fond memories of running with Pat's group and miss it.

See you on Sunday.

8:46 pm  
Blogger Robert Song said...

As Woody Allen said, " I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.".

10:48 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

Great to see you there Toasty. Certainly made my day...but it did take forever to sink in as it all felt so surreal seeing all me mates I hadn't seen for ages at a speed session.

Damn if I didnt' try hard to keep your flaming legs in view the whole way. How do you get faster in the second half of a TT??

Will be good to have you there as a regular and who knows perhaps you will even bring along the toasthater?

Off to Darwin tonight - so another weekend of no long runs with all my buddies. This is getting to me and is totally responsible for the mess that I call my running now.

I need to get back into a routine and back into some nice long river loops with you all.

Have a great week / weekend and I'll catch you at Pat's next week.

8:03 am  
Blogger Clairie said...

Ha!!!! I was the milk monitor!!!!!

8:04 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wonder if I would run faster if I wore Superman shorts and top? My Superman underwear don't seem to be working too well.

8:29 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

Did you just say "bloke"? hahahaha.

9:14 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

It was great to see those flamey tights there yesterday with you in them! It was like a Brissie Bloggers convention - you, Clairie, Chelle, Ally, Matty, me.

I'm so glad you've decided to give the group a go. It really is making my 'comeback' so much more exciting. This is gonna be fun!

See you at the brekky, whoops, speed session tomorrow morn. Pancakes, mmmmmm. You should bring the toast hater.


PS Damn good TT by the way.

9:23 am  
Blogger Habeela said...

Hmmm...marital bantering via blog...that's got to be a first. :)

11:07 am  
Blogger Lora said...

I think it's a great outfit!! For sure, you'll never be forgotten! How did the time trials go??

8:35 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Hmmmm, interesting outfit - bound to get you noticed! Sounds like you've made lots of friends!

4:35 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is "TT" something only Australians are allowed to know about, or am I just a moron and cannot figure out what "TT" stands for?

Please only answer the first part of my question.

1:59 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Toast,
I used to live in Brizzie. BrisVegas. Whatever.
Toowong, to be exact. I did a semester abroad at UQ. It was fun but very very hot and humid. I admire you for running in that stuff!
-Jessi

1:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »

9:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home