Thursday, May 25, 2006

Warwick Part IV

Part IV .... Yes Part IV ... what an epic!

3 races down my mortality set in, it was back to the base camp for a few quiet beers before the gathering of the masses for the evening banquet. 8 o'clock felt like mid-night, so it was an early night in preparation for the next day's battle.

Race 4 was a 10K Assent. Broken down it was 5K to the mountain and then a climb. My game plan was 1. Breath 2. Forget the watch and 3. Look for who is around and try and keep my place in the queue (this turned out to be between Nick and Liz).

It took me about 1 or 2K to settle and then I just sat on the heels of a couple of runners that I knew would take me through at about the right pace. Nearing the mountain, Liz surged ahead whilst I backed off to ensure I was rested when I hit the mountain. I caught and passed Liz and then stayed between her and Nick, who was just ahead. Running up the mountain was slow going, so I broke up the first couple of K's with short walks. This meant that Liz would catch up when I walked, before I'd run off her again. At 8K I decided to finish without any more walk breaks and caught and passed Nick. When Nick was behind me he changed his breathing and took off like a steam train, so I let him go (no choice).


I coasted home as Clairie caught Liz and then stuck with her through to the end.

Race 5 was 1500 through town. Not much to report except my legs still felt good although there was some anxiety about breathing (I really need to get some help with this). All up I was just under 3:23 for the combined runs but I don't count that in the highlights.

Highlights:

1. Seeing Tesso and Glenno finish all events since they were so sick and
injured in the months before it
2. Feeling like running another race after the last one finished
3. Doing what I love to do whilst my friends were doing the same
4. Coming home feeling like I had been away on a long holiday
5. Having an excuse to get Katy back for messing with my Ipod (last time involved a rubber snake in a national park).

6 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

Now I've got that Minnie Ripperton song in my head :-( Oh well, could be worse, could be Air Supply.

Great story on the run up the mountain. Reminds me of last year when I was uninjured and having similar battles. Bloody Nick did the same thing to me with about 1k to go.

11:11 pm  
Blogger Habeela said...

Is there more?! My word, I'm tired just reading your report! What an awesome weekend!

12:22 am  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I must say it was quite creative of Katy to add some tunes to your mix :)

Great job on all those races!

8:17 am  
Blogger Clairie said...

*another fat photo of me* you really should have an alert on your system to warn people before they open it up!!!

Yeah I liked the fact that getting home after a weekend of tough running I still felt like I had been away on a holiday....great heh!!

10:19 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Katy gave you thriller, mr. roboto, and 2 air supply songs and you are mad at her? Nice recap. Sounds like a wonderful time.

1:03 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

Wow... I got a lot of catching up to do. And I'm beat... I'll read all about next chance I get. Until then, just know that I stopped by to say "hi". And that I'm anxiously awaiting Part II of Katy's story :)

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home