Monday, August 27, 2007

Life without a post leaves a hole.

Hi, I'm Toasty and it has been 14 days since my last post.

I did make it to the Physio, at last. It didn't take long before I heard the same words that I've heard before ..... "Oh! Hmmm. That's not good!". Then she started to explain to me with words like TassleMeterPuss, Upper Taliban and Menopausal Posterior, but I could be wrong about those. I didn't have a pencil and I had no idea what she was saying after the "that's not good" part. Returning to my level, she showed me that the ankle joint is meant to go sideways as well as backward and forward. I nodded blankly. She grabbed my ankle and tried moving it like she said and my ankle held firm. She grabbed her ankle and showed me what should happen (damn freak was made of rubber, I tell you). Then came the plastic model and more big words. "So that's why I have to get on my toes to get around corners" I said, wanting to be part of the conversation. Then she explained how my left ankle was locked at a tilt and we needed to free it up. I am compressing and jamming it everytime I run and that is why it hurts. No running, bone scans, possible stress fracture inside joint, no blood flow, arthritis ... Whoa! Back up a second lady!!

Where's my last Physio? He only hurt me and didn't scare me so.

We agreed that I was a fool and to take a course of weekly massage and weekly physio. I limped out with my ankle taped and a quick rendition of me wailing while she strummed on the bands in my legs and inflicted some of that good ole pain, like my last Physio used to do.

I could tell you how the tax department picked me out to be audited. But that isn't going to make this post any happier.

Or that I was selected for jury duty and my employer said they needed me (which is sorta happier);

I certainly wasn't happy with my last speed work out. So far, everything had been ticking along and looking to be on target. The session on Friday was 1500m at 5:25 then another at 5:25, and a 3:35K to finish. First one was ok at about 5:29 ... then the wheels fell off. Six minutes and 4:18 for the final K. Coach Pat warned me about getting fatigued, and the truth is my working hours are getting in the way of my rest.

The happiest part of this post was last weekend's flight to Croutopia to see the school production. I was proudly watching my little girl, Clare, act and enjoy being part of the chorus. I loved seeing her enjoying herself, showing passion, and dedication to the production. I was disappointed to miss Andrew's dress rehearsal, but we did spend some good time together, especially breakfast Saturday morning by the beach.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

clare is right to lean away. lean awaaaay from the boys.

4:12 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

I only came here for the ho. Katy didn't write that!

Nice pancakes. I hope the Menopausal Posterior ankle becomes unjammed before Melbourne.

7:19 pm  
Blogger Mat said...

No running! This is obviously the first time this woman had met you, isn't it.

9:48 pm  
Blogger mike said...

Um, I don't really want to exacerbate an injury but...are you interested in running 11 mins at the TT on Tues? Thought I might try this pacing caper cos I'm coming back from a cold & no recent speed sessions.

10:15 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

At least in the photos you do not look like you are in pain and the ankle seems fine from this view, which I suppose is not all that good, but you already said this was not a happy post. The little croutons seem to be enjoying breakfast.

2:07 am  
Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........pancakes. Now I want some.

Bummer about the ankle but as you know, ignoring this sort of thing is a fool's paradise. Take care of it.

5:13 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

Take care of that ankle, and make sure coach knows about the work stress. Stress is stress, and training must be adjusted accordingly. BTW, those pics ROCK!!!

11:26 am  
Blogger E-Speed said...

ouch hope the physio has your ankle rotating in no time!

1:59 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Crap :-(

Double crap :-(

Why aren't you answering your phone! Are you worried we will be talking when Clairie rings to say her water has broken again?

8:24 pm  
Blogger admin said...

Now it couldn't get worse. Look ahead, better days to come. Maybe swimming could substitute running for a while, just to get rid off some extra enery that nuilds up when you are forced to stand still..

9:24 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

Mark don't answer the phone!!!! you and Tesso talk for hours. It isn't good for the rest of Australia to try and get through :)

Seriously you need some time off running to get that ankle sorted out mate. Then again I know I am talking to a blank wall when I say that and you will do nothing of the sort. At least plan for a break over Chrissy if you haven't already broken all your bones by then.
:)

8:01 am  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Terrific photos Toasty you look hard! But fair.

Sorry to hear about the ankle problem, I'd search out some alternate therapist if I were you.

A bit of hocs pocus is better than mumbo jumbo!

9:07 pm  
Blogger jeanne said...

awww that sucks! i hate it when they use big words.
tell me you're kidding about the tax audit. AND jury duty? make it stop.

i want pancakes now too. thanks a lot.

10:38 am  
Blogger psbowe said...

Now I want breakfast again! I agree with Rob, looks fine to me from this side. But hope it gets better soon.

3:11 am  
Blogger Black Knight said...

Everytime we have pain the answer is always the same: stop the running! But we never trust the doctor. By the way I like your glasses, congrats!

4:47 am  
Blogger Tomawac said...

Talk about cool dude in the pics.

Its what James Bond would look like if he was a runner. But he doesn't, well not without a dinner suit. The name's Toast. I Hate Toast.

Don't forget doctors and physios are just people too. Remember what I was told "you'll never run again". As Katy says, "Pffssst" or something like that. YOU be the ultimate judge Toasty.

8:22 am  
Blogger massoman said...

those are great pics. you make it look as if anyone could just get up and run fast: " what's that? yes, i'm just running for 3 hours today at mach 1. back soon."

take care with that ankle. menopausal posteriors can come back to bite you.

9:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home