Monday, July 30, 2007

Go slow to get fast!

Sounds a bit backward to me. How does running slow make you faster? Now, before you start getting all technical about training zones and teaching the body to use different fuel sources or even about recovery ... the point is that it feels uncomfortable. Uncomfortable ... like putting on cold, wet underpants straight off the clothesline. They warm with body heat, so that doesn't feel as weird. Eventually, you get used to it. The point? ... well, this captures how my training has been going lately.

My first week came in a total of 66 km and this week with an extra 20 minutes on the long run, the total was 63 km. I have two rest days each week now (Monday and Thursday) with one less hard training day. This has also taken awhile to get used to.

With running slower and extra rest, I was able to complete all of my training program despite traveling to Melbourne and New Zealand with work for most of last week.

Sunday morning, I took the early morning flight to catch the end of the game by favourite soccer team, Crouton United. Number 13 was centre of the back line under siege and was good enough to spend the rest of the day with his number 1 fan.




For the next two evenings, I stayed at the Croutons' CrossAunt, who is my sister. It was a good chance to discuss life is all its enormity and her plans for charity work in Africa, appreciating the athletic ability of de tour and whom I'd invite to a dinner party if I had to limit the number to 6. She squared and stared directly at me and and said "Who the #@$%! is Bolder, Rob the Runner, Runner Susan, ESpeed, Tammy and Jeanne???"



and then she just simply exclaimed ... "WHAT?!"

Note of next time ... bring red wine and some chocolate.



Tomorrow is the 3K TT and this will be a good chance to test how my training is going. I have a little more to write on my program and the changes it has made, but this will have to wait for another post.

More on the family front, Mamma Muffin and Poppa Pumpernickel are headed our way for a few days. Must make sure the spare room is ready ...

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You take A to Koko Black and even go upstairs for a sit down and what do I get?! SFA!

That's not entirely true. I did get a cool first-layer merino shirt from NZ.

It would look better with a chocolate stain.

8:21 pm  
Blogger Toasty said...

Yeah well .... Koko a no go for you oh!

9:55 pm  
Blogger Bolder said...

Who the #@$%! is Bolder???"

well, i haven't spanked a woman in a bit... this could be JUST the occasion...

hopefully, you set her straight.

10:50 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

When's the party? ;)

Looking forward to seeing if you're slowing of the pace works out. I have basically been doing the same thing in order to up my mileage. I don't think I will know for sure it is working until I get to race a marathon, but that may be a bit down the road.

I've got exciting pacer related news coming up soon. Stay Tuned :)

2:26 am  
Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

Training that feels like cold wet underpants just can't be good. You need to go commando!

6:58 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

We'll probably have to pick a centrally located home to hold the function at, but I think it might work. I can't believe your sister didn't know who we were.

I hope the TT goes well.

9:56 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

How come Katythegreaty didn't get an invite? Or CJ? Or Strewth? Or Spodiechoff?

2 rest days sounds luxurious. Has Phat gone soft or something?

3:27 pm  
Blogger Black Knight said...

#@$%!: I tried to find in my vocabulary the translation, but what a pity I didn't find the word. I think I must buy a new one.
Late congrats for your 03:26:51 - a dream for me (I will soon start a 3.40 marathon program).

6:57 pm  
Blogger psbowe said...

Let me when you get that slow running figured out b/c I get too impatient if I slow down my pace than my normal usual pace.

You knew better than to throw those names out there anyways...!

4:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was racing bicycles a gazillion years ago, my best season was the year I had few hard rides and did most of my training at the pace of someone who was slower than me. Since then I have always thought there was something to, "go slow to be fast."

12:11 pm  
Blogger Runner Susan said...

Does this make me famous? Cause I could really use some famousness right now.

8:24 am  
Blogger the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

and she did not ask about moi?
Oh. say it is not so!

2:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home