Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Mark gets a Coach

Just in case you haven't been following .....

The short story is that I have found a fierce and burning motivation for my next marathon, determined to eradicate the disappointment of my failed Gold Coast campaign with the anger of a young camel in a state of protracted sexual abstinence.



... and how are you going to do this you might ask?

With a Coach, I might answer!

... and who might that coach be, you might also ask?

Pat Carroll:

1st place - 1995 Beppu Marathon (2.09.39)

4 time winner of the Gold Coast Marathon 83/84/88/97, where there was 14 years separating my first and fourth win

2 time winner (94/96) Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon

Current holder of the Australian all comers record for the Half Marathon: 61.11

Ran 3.39.03 for 1500 m

Represented Australia 18 times

Finished in the top 8 at three Commonwealth Games

Twice Australian Champion for the Marathon 88 and 97

Australian Cross Country Champion in 1991

Twice runner up in Sydney's City to Surf

Ranked 4th on the Australian all-time list for the Marathon behind Rob De Castella, Steve Moneghetti and Derek Clayton.

Ranked 4th on the Australian all-time list for the Half Marathon behind Darren Wilson, Steve Moneghetti and Lee Troop.

"Sure I will help you prepare for Melbourne. You do need to recover from Sunday first though so give yourself a good two weeks of light jogging first and then touch base with me re this when you are ready to go. Have a think about what races you would like to do in the interim also."

So why pick Pat?

Ah ha! .... I was wondering when you would get around to asking this. I agree with Pat's philosphy and how he goes about things. He isn't the most scientific runner and won't have me counting calories, measuring heart rates and the like. If I download graphs and GPS readouts he won't look at them. So in a nut shell it is about trust, his approach and the philosophy ... A fun and supportive environment free of elitism and categorization.

I am not, nor will I ever be elite, and if it isn't fun then I am not interested.

I have two "light runs" down and tomorrow is "wear pink" day at Pat's, Woo hoo!

13 Comments:

Blogger Bolder said...

this is gonna be good!

11:56 pm  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Hey Toasty

I've been coached by Pat and I can assure you that you've made the right decision there..

From my experience I'd advise you to follow what he says pretty much as he writes it. Anytime I tried to do more or cut corners on the programs he set those were the times I didn't achieve my goals.

But when I stuck to the programs he set, to the letter, I was able to PB everytime.

As Pat knows you and he knows what you've just been through he would be the ideal person to coach you to the next marathon. He will surely set you a program that will see you right.

I don't know about the fun part I concur with Robert Song that "fun" is over-rated and that PBs last forever.

Besides after or before the hard sessions you'll sometimes be able to talk to the likes of Tesso and Clairie. How much more "fun" could you want than that!?

12:06 am  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I often wonder if having a coach would improve my running, then I look in my wallet and bank account, and figure I am better off on my own :)

It will be fun to see if your coach can help you achieve your goals at GC!

2:00 am  
Blogger Peterhorse said...

you're sounding mean, should we give you a clear space at PCRG for fear of being steamrolled? nice pink lycra mate, i said to Tess i was looking forward to seeing what you would be wearing.
good coach choice of course

10:54 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

Smart move Toasty! I was on Pat pgms for a couple of years and PB'd at every distance which I thought wasn't a bad achievement at my age :)

What I really like is that I wasn't the only one who was aware of my goals, and I found myself pushing harder in races to please him just as much or even more than to please myself.

Melbourne is gonna be faaaaantastic!

12:43 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Toasty, I think you'll do well under Pat - although watch out... he is a bit heavier than in the 61:11 days.

What Tesso says rings true - pleasing the coach will help you please yourself with a full mary PB in Melbourne.

Regards,
Alice

5:16 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My niece is going to run the Marine Corps Marathon here in the US and she runs/trains with a group and has done well. She's finished one marathon and a half marathon. The MC will be her second.

7:57 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

Atta boy Toasty! go for it. You will be one mean running machine. It's not as if you haven't done most of the work already. The machinery is all there it just needs some fine tuning.

7:58 pm  
Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

Yay! That sounds like a great plan for you. I mean... having a coach. Especially one who has 'wear pink' days. I'm pretty sure those are the very best kind.

3:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had a nice skirt for him to wear (pink satin mini santa skirt, what's not to like) and he didn't wear it. is this the guy who can put that extra effort in? i don't know.

7:17 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Exciting news! It sounds like you picked the right coach. He certainly has the resume for the job and it sounds like plenty of happy customers as well.

12:52 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

"I am and will never be..."
Which is it? Are you "am", or will you "never be"? ;)

Sounds like he's a good old-school guy. Low-tech is good. I'm reading Jack Daniels now (yes reading, not drinking) and he has a similar philosophy.

Onward to victory!

2:34 am  
Blogger Tomawac said...

Hmmm....marathon and fun in the same sentence. Doesn't make sense to me, but if you added a bike in there....

When i ask myself what would be the best antidote for the way you feel about Gold Coast, it would be a PB at Melbourne. Then GC becomes a distant learning experience only. Pat Carroll will get you there. Excellent move.

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home