Thursday, May 31, 2007

It's Official!

Congratulations for you have been successful in applying for a role as a PatCarrollOnline pace runner in either the Half or Full Marathon at this years Gold Coast Airport Marathon.

All the information you require will soon follow. This will include how I would like you to enter the event and any other relevant pieces of information.

For now all I require from you is a reply indicating if you accept the time slot you have been allocated.

You will find your name and allocated time slot here.

Please reply ASAP confirming if you accept the time slot allocated to you.


HOW EXCITING IS THAT!

Let me take you back .... April, 2006 ... Canberra .... I finished this marathon and at the after party approached Pat about becoming a pacer ....

I told him that I had experienced pacers who go out to fast and that I would like a go .... he said to put in an application when the time came.

There had been times at the start of a marathon when I started alongside my chosen pacer only to left behind panting and gasping early into a marathon re-evaluating my strategy convinced that the pace was a good 10 minutes or so faster than what it should be .... I didn't want to be this pacer ....

So lucky for me my opportunity came ..... at Australia's biggest marathon Gold Coast ..... I loved it!

I LOVE PACING!

My running goals for the year haven't worked out ...
After running this morning, I was talking to 2 of my running buddies at Runnin Skool and listening to their marathon plans. It occurred to me, if I can be part of helping them get there in their training, that would please me most.


I spoke to Pat after it was clear that I needed to reevaluate things .... go for a 3:10 again .... or? ........

"Pat have you got all your pacers?" ...... I now run with Pat regularly, I was even privileged to share "Athlete of the Month" after a year of time trials and breaking 11 minutes for 3K last week ...... Pat said "Don't have anyone for 3:15!" ..... so here we are ...... I'm very serious about this and given my feelings about not going out too fast or letting anyone down ... this is a challenge and pinnacle of what I have done in running so far.

If you happen to be aiming for a 3:15 marathon at the Gold Coast .... Every step you take, every breath you make ........ [Over to you Vat Man, as he picked up the last music reference in a previous post all be it a little cryptic, so if you want to comment with the next line .... go for it and I'll try to implant one each post]

and just for the record ..... I ran 5 PB's at Warwick ..... more PB's than a skool yard full of lunch boxes!



... all that said .... on Sunday is the Queensland Half Marathon .... I have a plan ... it involves a theme and fancy dress.

A just one more thing ..... I'm very proud of the one I love and aces her assessments at University this week. Now I have to go collect the same said person from the class end of assessment party .... wish me luck!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Samurai Running said...

Congratulations on getting that pacer's spot Toasty.

Yes, it is a bit of a worry being so fast but running for others might just be what it takes for you to pull out a special one on the day.

There is method in your madness.

And congratulations on your 3KTT PB too.

10:57 pm  
Blogger Bolder said...

good lord.

good luck!

12:07 am  
Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

I'll be watching you...

I'll be watching you hold that pace and I'll be watching for that fancy outfit.

Congratulations on getting the pace of your dreams

2:42 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

Hmmm, and you weren't in fancy dress in that pic ;-)

Congrats on the big gig. You're going to make a lot of people happy.

6:06 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

At least everyone will be able to find you easily... nice outfit ;)

Was that Katy's final final?!?! Why wasn't *I* invited to the party? :(

2:12 pm  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

Congratulations Toasty,

Seems like a "hard ask" but running for others might just be what you need to raise it a few notches and bring everyone home under time.

Some people respond to helping others, something I've never understood being a somewhat cold and heartless bastard.

And congratulations on your 3KTT PB, well done!

8:36 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

21st beat me to it.

So, how come you didn't volunteer for the 3 hour group so you could run with Steve Moneghetti?

Those strides are hurting my eyes.

9:45 pm  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Wow 3:15. It will be a good time for you seeing that your recent form is (if I remember correctly ) 3:18, 3:59, 3:42, 3:43, 3:16. To take on the added pressure of pacing as well, that is a big call. Hope it works out for you and your pacees.

9:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so... no curry the night before!

12:16 pm  
Blogger Shane said...

I too remember you wizzing past me up that damn hill, congrats on running 5 PB's at Warwick that is impressive.

Wow, 3.15 pacer, I can't imagine how good it will feel when you cross that line knowing that you have just helped people achieve their goals. Good on you!

Nice one with the 3k TT, it has been a great month for you.

9:55 pm  
Blogger strewth said...

Wowee - congratulations - 3:15 pacer - pretty amazing stuff. I'll be watching you too from sunny Italy so make sure you blog every little detail!!

10:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home