Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Bounding into the New Year



When I'm lost and uncertain I just need to listen to the little voices inside my head .... I think I capture one in this picture taken from my first run of the year .... and what do you see (little voice in middle of picture, ha "did I say little voice")?

Well ..... follow close as this could get confusing .... 2007 comes along and I feel that I need Goals .... but I don't really have any. After running this morning, I was talking to 2 of my running buddies at Runnin Skool and listening to their marathon plans. It occurred to me, if I can be part of helping them get there in their training, that would please me most. We, Katy and I, also have some challenges ahead with work and recovering fitness. I really want to help Katy recover, but not sure how to be supportive and not pushing. This will be tough for me to do.

So there you have it folks .... my goals for the year. For a long time now, I have NEEDED to run. It has been therapy and a release, it gave me satisfaction and focus for achievement. But, that is not where I am at the moment and this is something I consider to be a very good thing.

Somewhere through reading your posts, sharing your thoughts and feelings, I had another moment of clarity. I channelled my inner buddha that was born from the seasonal indulgences. This second revelation is about work. What is most important now has become, Who I work with and that I want to be around them. How we treat each other in caring out our duties. What is most important in your work?

Is it the money? Loving what you do? How it makes you feel about yourself?

I am also lucky enough to have the Croutons staying with me. I enjoy coming home to play cards and share the complete series of Boston Legal that we got for Christmas with them. I really love coming home.

The New Year weekend was spent camping with another family (as we have done for 3 years now), at a place called "The Wrecks" (pictured below). I can not be sure of this, but I believe the name came from the the drunken, whooping, bonfire and flare lighting early twenty something revellers also camping besides us, that became "Wrecks" in the mornings.



Finally, Progress Report:

"Hoppy" aka Toasthater aka Katy, is recovering rapidly, although quite sore. She can walk about the house without crutches and I am less scared about her fragile state.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i learned to walk watching penguins!

you... you kinda look cute in that photo... wanna neck?

5:47 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

I like your goals :-)

You are such a good hubby. And dad. And training buddy. And, by the sounds of it, workmate.

****

What is important in my work -

Is it the money?
Yep.

Loving what you do?
Sometimes, especially when things go wrong and I can fix them.

How it makes you feel about yourself?
Occasionally, like when I can fix something that nobody else can.

Also - my workmates :-)

9:18 pm  
Blogger Bolder said...

i think this post has turned a corner in its photo presentation... i actually enjoyed looking at the pictures...

as far as 'camping' goes... that's camping?... who knew? i may have to take up camping...

and as for work... it's definitely 'who' you work with first for me too...

great to hear Katy is on the mend!

12:16 am  
Blogger Laurie said...

Those are great goals for 2007. It is important who you with. You are around them many hours a week, often more than your own family. If you don't get along, it is bad news for your emotional wellbeing.

I also like that you want to help other runners train for a marathon. Maybe you should become a personal trainer!

2:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:47 am  
Blogger D said...

You and Katy were made for each other Toastman! Nice photos! Happy New Year!

7:24 am  
Blogger David said...

Fixing your hatingToast is a paramount goal. Helping others prepare may well be most rewarding. Eventually picking something for yourself will come in its own time. Enjoy the ride.

11:45 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a good attitude going into 2007. I look forward to following along with the toast family.

3:22 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Becoming less scared is a good step forward.

Nah, your goals are not specific enough for me (except for helping Katy). I need times, distances, places, races!

4:13 pm  
Blogger Phil said...

I like your goals. And tbaks for posting the great pictures. If only I could look that smooth while running!

5:42 pm  
Blogger Black Knight said...

Katy can walk about the house without crutches: this is the best new.
Very good goals but....I see you are becoming too nice and good, don't forget that you are a clever executioner, forever!

11:30 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

sounds like good goals to me. Especially liked the work goals.

4:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:14 am  
Blogger massoman said...

glad to hear katy is improving speedily.

work for me:
i love what i do.

who i work with is very important.

i won't be happy very long if i'm not working with my hands.

money is important, but not primary.

you've got good goals.

1:49 pm  
Blogger Habeela said...

Those are awesome goals! I decided a few years ago, I will only work at a job where I love what I do and feel like I make a contribution. Everything else is optional.

1:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the the importance of the "goals thing" down well. Three cheers for the Katy/Mark match! You guys are so good together.

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home