Saturday, December 02, 2006

Fire it up!



No point wondering what will happen, I thought to myself ......

Today I put myself down for a solid session as a confidence booster pre-marathon.

There was a big gathering for our long run and I soon found myself setting the pace with Phil and the two Johnnies (aka Phil, Johnny and Johnny). The Johnnies had us under 5 min/km within the first couple of kms (that's sub 8 min/miles after the first mile). I moved it to marathon pace around 4:40s on the way out and we still had time to chat quite comfortably.

On the way back, Phil set the pace at 4:20s and I hung on and occasionally found the energy to surge and catch him. Our last km was sub 4 min and I finished off my first decent session since my injury back in September.

For me it was flicking the turbo switch and hoping I wouldn't blow up. Phew, it all seems to be hanging together and I feel the best I have for a very long time now. Heading off on holidays on Tuesday and looking forward to that helps as well.

11 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

woohoo!!!! nice comeback. You are sooooo ready!

2:18 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear you had a good run. I hope it is a confidence booster for the marathon.

2:58 pm  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Good Luck with the marathon.

3:26 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Glad you didn't blow up, I wasn't in the mood for cleaning up the mess.


PS Not only can they run but The Johnnies can sing too .... http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=114867194

6:15 pm  
Blogger Bolder said...

i love it when a plan comes together...

2:50 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

Hope the pop-off valve doesn't blow during the marathon.

Enjoy the holiday :)

3:39 pm  
Blogger Clairie said...

I wondered what you guys were doing.... I was hanging on thinking this ride was a bit fast for a long one.

Nonetheless I managed to hold you on the way out. Thankfully I decided to chat to the rest of the group on the way back so didn't get caught up in your sub 4 plan!!

9:04 am  
Blogger Black Knight said...

A very fast workout! You will run a great marathon!

4:45 am  
Blogger CJ said...

I know I'm late and you are already off on your holiday but GOOD LUCK both of you!

7:30 pm  
Blogger Mat said...

All the best for the marathon. You sound very ready :-)

9:04 am  
Blogger admin said...

it's those workouts which make training fun.
I wish you all the best for your race
!

8:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home