Friday, October 27, 2006

Trigger

Having spent long hours building endurance (step 1) and blending in some speed work (step 2), I'm now up to step 3. "And what is this step 3?", I hear you ask in my small imaginary mind. Well, step 3 is managing muscles to cope with workload. Or was that step 4 or 5 after eating the right things and turning on the mental game.

So there you have it ... Toast's 5 Part Marathon Plan

* build endurance
* turn on your mental game
* blend in speed
* eat right
* manage muscles to cope with workload

On Thursday I managed to get in a see Nathan at the Queensland Sport Medicine Centre. He got me to walk, see how far away I could get my foot from the wall before I couldn't touch it by bending my knee and then dug his fingers into my leg asking me to relax the muscle. His prognosis ............. "Oh dear, you have a lot of crap in there".

Apparently, ignore the pain and it will go away, is not the right strategy. Now I get to push tennis balls, knees and elbows into inflexible parts of my leg to release the muscle. The next 6 weeks, I'll be working on that. It has something to do with working on trigger points and the exciting part is that I will improve my flexibility and therefore stride length. This makes for faster more free flowing Toast! .... wheeeeee.

My sister gave me this book for my birthday. Awesome! We have already tried 3 recipes and my favourite has been the banana, celery and curry by Dido.



But that is not all ......





My daughter was concerned that a mirror might not travel without getting broken, so she got me this to check out what I look like:



And the Andrew, saw his and said it reminded him of me:



obviously because ...... ummm .... it's good for playing practical jokes? right?

My parents gave me a portable step to get in and out of the Jeep. I put the step to immediate use after my adventures with the Vasectomy dude.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favourite was the mango, greek yogurt and 5-spice chicken salad. spicy! perhaps too much "texas kicker."

nah.

6:21 pm  
Blogger Habeela said...

Well yay for a doctor who is working with you to fix the problem. Those are great gifts - nice to have people who know what you want/need. :)

2:16 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

I wonder if the step will be used for plyometric bounding and calf raises? A very thoughfull gift!

2:06 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You must have a reputation.

11:40 pm  
Blogger D said...

You are spoiled toastman.

8:56 am  
Blogger E-Speed said...

sounds about like how the ART doctor reacted to me. But he let me know I wasn't a lost cause and they didn't need to take me out back to shoot me just yet.

7:54 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

Luv the portable step. I would go perfectly with my fold up bucket.

9:08 am  
Blogger massoman said...

that stuff about trigger points is right on the money and because you'll be doing exercises and self-care along with your visits to nathan, you'll improve quickly. isn't good to know that no life threatening disease was at work, just tight muscles? that muscle in the drawing (i recognize the book it from) is the bain of runners, posterior tibialis. you'll get that fixed and be off like a prom dress. it sounds like nathan knows his stuff.

cool gifts, too.

11:48 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Yes, I have tried the 'ignore th epain and it will go away' approach - didn't owrk for me either! In fact, I ended up having surgery!

Must have a look at that recipe book - love looking at recipes, not so sure about cooking them!

Have a good weekend to both of you!

7:56 am  
Blogger Black Knight said...

I learned not to ignore the pain after I got into the troubles for it! Nice presents for your birthday (banana included)

6:55 pm  
Blogger Ginger Breadman said...

Are you sure the world is ready for a 'faster more free flowing Toast'?

2:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home