Monday, October 09, 2006

Race Report Part 1

Right now I’m hurting. Nothing strange about that, since I ran a marathon yesterday. I’m not sure about my feelings, as there is a mix of disappointment in not reaching my goals, but also an acknowledgement that I’m injured and the trip to the finish line took extraordinary determination. I accept being injured, I know I do, I just don’t WANT to accept it. My calf is swollen and there was some internal bleeding, I will have to heal.

I had a nice easy day prior to the race and was well rested and prepared as I could be. Made it to the start line in plenty of time and was set to go, standing alongside the 3:15 pacers. All my training gave me confidence of going under 3:10 and qualifying for New York. I was in a New York state of mind.

At first, I was relieved that there was no pain in my leg and it was pretty easy to hold my pace around 4:30 min/K. This continued until after the 7K marker and then I noticed that my spilt was drifting out to 4:40. OK, no need to panic. I kept a close eye on my pace and even picked it up, running alongside a guy who I recognised from a previous race. I met Michael during the Brisbane marathon where I passed him on that day. He had run Boston 2 weeks prior, whilst I had a whole 3 weeks since Canberra. We ran together briefly, but it was obvious to me, that I couldn’t keep it going. My splits progressively deteriorated.

The 3:15 pace group sailed past at a rate that I had little chance of hanging on to. I needed to reassess my race plan, with at least 30K to go.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i say to get that leg to the doctor or someone. it's fat and nasty. get help! or get your wife some ice cream.

9:50 pm  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Hmm, I think you should listen to Kate's advice! Oh, and publish Pt2 asap!

10:50 pm  
Blogger Ginger Breadman said...

to even run a marathon with your calf like that is no simple feat - I can't imagine the mental kind of race you must've had. Get some help for your calf, and then post part 2. (and Katy needs ice-cream, she deserves it)

2:18 am  
Blogger admin said...

obey your wife, or you'll get into troubles....!
Ich wäre wohl gar nicht gelaufen mit dem Problem-Bein ! Ich weiß nicht ob ich Dich bewundern soll, oder lieber den Kopf schüttel.
Get well soon and don't run the next fortnight!

5:46 am  
Blogger D said...

Ouch - injuries suck - especially when you run a marathon while injured! Amazing that you finished. After you get Katy her icecream, maybe you should see your Dr. Heal quickly Toastman.

7:26 am  
Blogger Clairie said...

Can we all come around for icecream????

Rest up Mark. I don't want to see you out there running at all this week. You really need to get better. So you can train me to run faster!

8:07 am  
Blogger Scott said...

I'm sorry that you feel that you didn't achieve your goals... must be hard to swallow.

In my books, you're still a winner for having finished... time be damned...

I echo everyone else... rest and let your injury heal before you start running again.

9:32 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Leaving us in suspense, well not entirely since we already know how it ended, but I will be interested to read how the next 30k went.

12:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home