Saturday, June 10, 2006

Next marathon goal

I'm excited!

..... and feel honored and privileged that my application was accepted to "Pace" the Gold Coast Marathon 4 hour group.

The job of a "Pacer" is to run even splits and offer encouragement to the marathoners aiming to achieve that goal time.

Last Wednesday I did my mid-week run at the 5:40 min/K pace for about 2 hours. It felt pretty easy at first, but after an hour I was working. I started visualizing my "encouragements". I like to split my race in thirds so will try to keep the group relaxed and breathing easy to start with. The middle section will be more of a coast and my aim is to try to keep the groups mind occupied whilst their bodies go into auto-pilot. Around 28-30K is where is starts to get interesting.

28K ... "You have all you training behind you, this is where is starts"
32K ... "I was doing my mime of hitting "the wall" .... just run through the next 5 minutes and you will feel better"
38K ... "Tell yourself you WILL make it ... no mater what, you are soon to be a marathoner" (I find that there is relief for me around this time and I lose the uncertainty of finishing).
40K ... Practice your finish line pose .... I plan to give examples like Two arms up, the twirl and the simple "4 fingers up" for the sub four. (This is a good time be thinking about finishing).

Please share a comment on something a pacer did that has help you in the past.

12 Comments:

Blogger Robert Song said...

Things you don't want to hear from the 4 hour pacer:

"OK guys just continue on by yourselves, while I visit the port-a-loo".

1:53 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

When I paced at Noosa Half (1:50) a couple of years ago it must've been around the Olympics. With 2k to go this lady who was desperate to go under that time decided she couldn't do it. So I suggested pretending we were running for Australia at the Olympics. She made it :-)

And there was a young boy who started to fade near the end so I told him he couldn't let an old lady beat him. He made it too :-)

2:29 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

Hmm... Well, um... yeah, I got nothing. I saw pacers at my marathon, but they refused to do the run/walk intervals with me. Bastards.

2:36 pm  
Blogger Chelle said...

My pacer at the Half last year was just so enthusiastic it really lifted you. When I paced the Brissie Half I took this on board and waved and clapped all the marshalls etc and was just that little bit OTT with it sometimes - seemed to amuse the group and take their mind of the tast ahead etc

Whatever you do I'll be seeing you at the start line :)

8:19 am  
Blogger Haight said...

Maybe reiterate the free beer and massages after they finish...

1:30 pm  
Blogger Hannah said...

Personally, I think the poo comment is a classic - I'd kill myself laughing if someone said that to me mid race - but then, depends on if you want to be all serious or not. Humour does it for me, every time!

I'm sure you'll be a fantastic pacer, dude! I wish you were doing 4:15 and I'd run with you (that's if there's a 4:15 pace group of course? haven't checked!)

5:44 pm  
Blogger Black Knight said...

I am so proud, you are the first Black Knight who has the honour to be a pace-keeper!
Will you wear the black shining armour?

2:46 am  
Blogger psbowe said...

I had one tell me "ha, you think you can stick with me??"

Ok, i'm kidding...hmm don't have any experience with one yet. I usually suffer on my own, but I'd like to run with one during my 1st marathon.

4:05 am  
Blogger Lora said...

I like a pacer that acknowledges the people in the group, cheers us on. After all, you're going to get that great goodie bag if you bring us in on time---so make it fun for those of us that "just" get a medal!!

6:20 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on being accepted as a pacer. I like a pacer who encourages people to tuck in behind and enjoy the ride.

3:13 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

That's great Toasty. You won't be hard to spot with the Chilly Pants as well as balloons. Ha! Balloons ans Ballooomers.

Watch out for the Pacer Hogs. They'll take your focus of those who really need that bit extra encouragement.

6:57 pm  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

Pacing a four hour group is fun. But I didn't want to hear myself saying Robert Song's quote (first comment above), but I did. My first pit stop ever, in my 32nd marathon and billionth race, due to the slowpace and nerves. Super hydration only works if you are going flat out. Sorry Mr Song.

7:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home