Thursday, January 12, 2006

Fond Memories


I haven't been able to write about this until now and I feel a little guilty about the whole thing and the lack of respect I've shown. Last week, my IPod developed pneumonia, and it was very serious. I tried a little rest, hoping he'd dry out and recover ... I knew something was wrong as the little dially pad wasn't responding and although there was music, I couldn't pick the songs or select a playlist anymore.

On Tuesday, I attached IPod to the Mac life support and created a single playlist in order to give IPod a meaningful, although limited, life. After performing this last life saving procedure, I ejected IPod from the system ...... it seemed to work .... but after a minute the lights went out for the last time. I desperately tried CPR but it was all to no avail.

IPod died as a result of a thunderstorm and it couldn't have been a more fitting end. It was January 4 and my session started at 9:17 p.m. with a sharp tempo workout. After the warm up, I was pleased with the 4:19/km first 3K and I was heading into the wild Botanical Possum park after 10.5k when the black skies opened up. It wasn't hard rain .... no .... that would be too kind ..... it was like a vertical flood. I moved my IPod under my arm in a attempt to protect him and lifted the tempo of my run. I was "pounding" along with lightening and thunder erupting around me. My feet splashed through fast flowing rivers now flooding across the path. Now, IPod was spluttering through what was to be his final song .... it was the BIG LIVE guitar solos of AC/DC and couldn't have been a more poetic finale.

Today we rejoice, in what was a short yet highly valuable life. Ipod endured sweat, sun and torturous sessions leading into 4 marathons. I'll never forget my last long run before a marathon recently, my lovely crusted bread hating wife, crossed my path with only 3 km left on my run (she was heading in a different direction as she was running to a different schedule than myself)... she grinned and asked if I was enjoying my Ipod .... noting the surprise inclusion of "Flagpole Sitta", I thanked her for putting this in with my collection ... my last 3 km were at hard fast pace to finish off this session and just as I started thumping my way down the final stretch "Animal Crackers in my Soup" came through my headphones .... my sweaty fingers only enable me to turn the damn thing up whilst trying to skip to the next song.

Farewell ..... *sniff* ..... you were too young.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad to hear that you are paying your respects to your dear departed friend. May he/she rest in peace. He/She had a good life indeed.

3:50 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

My thoughts are with you at this time.

I have one word to say to you - protection! With the next one (if there is a next one) try putting it in a small plastic bag whenever you run.

My iPod has had some health problems and is currently in rehab. It was never the same after it hit the deck during my Kurrawa run. Its expected to make a full recovery.

11:29 pm  
Blogger Black Knight said...

ohh what a mistake, you know that in the Black Knight Army we have a wizard. Why didn't you ask her help for the little and kind creature? However we drop our flags to commemorate the passed Ipod.

3:28 am  
Blogger :) said...

So. Sad.

5:11 am  
Blogger psbowe said...

*sniff* your post made me cry *sniff*

7:58 am  
Blogger Clairie said...

With the wind in our hair and the sun in our eyes....we commemorate you ipod.

You will be sorely missed I am sure.

8:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR THIS GUY....
he ran in the rain. yup. got ready on a very cloudy early evening after it's rained for days at the same time and took an electronic device. the boy wants a nano and would probably have showered in his iPod if it helped him. feeling sorry for him encourages very very poor behavior. or behavioUr.
i think if he gets a nano, i'm having it implanted in his arm like those old birth control devices. make him commit to a gadget and ignore the upgrades.
so... DO NOT PITY THE FOOL

9:03 am  
Blogger brent d. said...

R.I.P.

We have the Nano and it's very cool. If you get that... maybe you need to invest in a tiny little Nano raincoat. =)

2:33 pm  
Blogger mouse said...

I'm late on this, because I just found your blog (love the name, by the way), but did you try taking it in for maintenance? my shuffle passed away in an accident quite similar to the one who took your poor loved one's life, and I took it in for an autopsy (to the nearest apple store to get it looked at) and they gave me a new one. no questions asked. I've seen it happen with people who have the larger iPods too. just a thought.

12:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home