Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Another bonus of having a Garmin


I flew down to Melbourne for New Years and drove back the 1,700 km which is yet another story.

At the Avis counter, collecting the hire car, I happen to be wearing my Garmin on my wrist. It seemed the best place for it, as I was using it earlier to try and work out a training program based on previous runs. The guy at the desk asked what it was .... I explained that it was a GPS using satellites to track when I ran. His confused expression didn't match his words of "Oh, yes I know what it is". He then asked if it showed street names, so I then told him it was mainly for distance and speed and that I used it to train for marathons.

The word marathon must of triggered something in the guy across the counter. "Oh marathons" he exclaimed. He snapped to attention and re-checked my name. "Oh! Mark Hewitt the marathon runner, I thought I recoginsed you" he said nodding his head proudly. "I hope you enjoy your stay here" he added in a tone that one might use when addressing royalty. It was all I could do to hold back my amusement, but I thanked him and collected my keys.

I bet my friend at the counter is flooded with famous people everyday.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

LOLOLOL! Hey dude, can I have your autograph? Please... it's for my.... uh.... brother... yeah, that's it! It's for my brother. :)

2:41 am  
Blogger psbowe said...

Oooh I didn't know you were famous!

5:48 am  
Blogger Bolder said...

Imagine if you had on a Polar 625X.

Seriously, don't make me buy a Garmin, cause you know I will...

Thanks for all the great comments on my blog, somehow you've eluded my blogroll... not anymore dude!

Now, you have to suffer throw my smartass, yet well intentioned comments just like everyone else!

Happy New Year! May 2006 be your best!!

8:02 am  
Blogger *jeanne* said...

One time when I was working at the airport (a VERY stressful 9 months out of my life), I checked James Bond in for his flight. He looks MUCH better in the movies. LOL!

I "met" more famous people when I was working in NYC, as an usher on Broadway.

8:24 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

Maybe he reads your blog :-)

11:12 am  
Blogger Black Knight said...

Very nice toy. I am going to buy it tomorrow!!! Our train for the marathon goes on: saturday 25.5 km, monday 12.6 km and yesterday 11.5 km. For this evening one hour on the tapis roulant is scheduled. If you want e-mail me I have some programs for the marathon and I can show you my one.

2:19 am  
Blogger E-Speed said...

lol, cute story!

Happy New Year!

4:42 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

So if I wear a Garmin I could be treated as royalty as well. Maybe I will give it a try.

6:54 am  
Blogger D said...

Can you autograph my Garmin please?

1:37 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

Whah!!!! I want a Garmin!!!! No fair!!! (pout).

2:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home