Monday, January 09, 2006

Are we there yet?



1,700 km from Melbourne to Brisbane might not be how many might choose to spend 2 days, but I enjoy it. Rather than describe a long car trip, I put in a list the things that amuse me and make the trip so much fun ....... mainly for me:

1. Game #1 "Guess what animal that road kill was?" This has various degrees of difficulty, based on duration of expiration, hit by truck or car, if the crows have been at it and the original size of whatever it was.
2. Road trip food. This has never been good but the super flat grilled cheese sandwich might be why she hates toast. Why do truckers need enormous meals? I guess it is to maintain there shape which must be ideal for long distance truck driving and absorbing bumps in the road.
3. Road signs. First there was the picnic rest area sign showing a tree for shade. Then every few kms there are "Drowsy Drivers Die", "Take 5 and stay Alive" ....... Then there were picture of cars crashing into the nice picnic trees .... and now .... now .... giant car eating cows!
4. I have often wondered what the story is behind the new big cylinder Hay Bales and what happened to the rectangle ones. Am I alone in my fascination with these?
5. Game #2 "Missing the next toilet stop to see if the passengers can hang on." I stopped playing this game, as it would seem that no one else thought this was fun.
6. Game #3 Making sentences out of town names. Names like Moree (more-e), Narrandara (Nar-Rand-A-Ra), Coonabarabran (Coon-a-bar-ra-bran) ...... Crouton Clare had "I spelt feel F-E-L but my teacher told me I needed Moree. My house is much cooler since I had my Narrandara built around it. My favorite cheese is the Coonabarabran.
7. Checking out the small country town nativity scenes. There is a town south of Dubbo where Mary and Joseph's heads are on sticks and the baby Jesus has been left in the rain for way too long ..... still creeps me out with the visual image of this.
8. Gas station toilets - ahhhh the smells of truckers past and the vending machines which opens up so many questions that I just don't want to go there.
9. Small talk - Many hours in the car will have anyone talking about what is really on their mind and for me coming up with silly games.

4 Comments:

Blogger Black Knight said...

At last you found a way to keep you busy while driving. You made me thinking: what about the toilet before the marathons, with that "wonderful" smell and the long queues??? For this reason I prefer the races near the sea! What are you thinking? Only for the smell of the breeze........

12:54 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I may try number 5, but it may not be a good idea with 4 kids. Not to mention my wife probably would not find the humor in the game either. I think it is funny though.

8:39 am  
Blogger Tesso said...

#3 .... Its hot in Brisbane but its Coolangatta :-)

8:51 am  
Blogger Bolder said...

you're killin' me here...

especially in my comments section, you're turnin' into my daily smile.

i lurve aussies! keep it up!!

11:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home