Saturday, June 25, 2011

GCM 2011 - Injury

This is a little out of order, but I best just deal with it now.

The injury is a minor tear in the hamstring. It happened on Wednesday 15th June about an hour into the medium run early in the start of taper. I can assess it all clinically the what, why, how, when, etc. The feeling was initial denial and optimism. Perhaps it was a cramp.

I have never resigned myself to the marathon being gone. Not without it being absolute. I guess it makes me an optimist, determined, not easily put off ... etc. I like that, and I like knowing that about myself. I find that when I succeed then this has been a factor.

I also get to find out what the marathon means to me. How important is it to achieve the goal? The goal was 3 hours right from the start. I never felt confident I was capable, I just went with an attitude of giving it a go and see what happens. A lot of my thoughts have gone into the training so I was performing at my best. It is selfish or perhaps there is a better word. Certainly this is something all about me. But the marathon has an end and I will need something next. Even if it is another marathon or Kurrawa. I love running. I love it when it's me, I love pacing, I love seeing other people run. The more I see people try the better it is. The more I try the better it is.

So back to the injury ... I will keep an attitude of "giving it a go" and see what happens and not giving up until it is absolute. I have sought the best advice I can and follow it. Whatever happens I have already got so much from the training, the people I have shared some moments with and some more discovery about myself and that I have the capabilities I didn't know before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home