Sunday, November 09, 2008

A week to go



I'm not sure how to distinguish fear from anxiety or scared from nervous. A week short of the San Antonio marathon, and can feel something. That's a good thing. Imagine having no feeling!

After 14 marathons, I still find it exciting. It has changed for me though, from the uncertainity of completion to running a qualifier for Boston. Over time, I have developed a deeper appreciation that each one could be my last. Not to take anything for granted, even just finishing is not a given.

Pain is going to happen, but how much and will it be .... too much?

On Monday, during an easy 35 minutes, I felt a sharp pain at a point inside my leg about 4 inches about my knee. It travelled to behind my knee and then to the middle of my hamstring. There it stayed. I walked. I came home and the pain stayed for the day. It ensured I was aware of it's presence with any movement, even slightly pretending to stretch it. I check in with the new masseur Simon, who dealt out torture that you have to expect when you tick the deep tissue box on arrival. He left me brusied and sore to sit down (don't ask!) so the hamstring was lost in a whole new world of hurt.

Waiting until Friday, I tried another eay 35 minute run. It (the hamstring) hurt immediately and I became used to it. For the rest of the day I knew I had a problem. So I vowed not to run again until race day.

Today is Sunday and there is one week to go before the race. I believe my hamstring is improving and my spirit is lifted. I am also grateful that I will be starting taking nothing for granted.

The goal is 3:15 but I will be happy to walk away under 3:20. More than that is going to feel like a failure. I guess this is all self generated pressure. But that is what makes it exciting.

9 Comments:

Blogger E-Speed said...

hope the hamstring is up for 3:15! Getting injured during taper is awful!

11:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck in San Antonio!

4:15 am  
Blogger Robert Song said...

I can't believe how good your mental outlook is on this. I know I would be shattered. I guess you have had a lot of experience of taking an injury into a race ;-)

Here's hoping it all comes together on the day and you reach your goal.

Have a good trip no matter what happens.

8:15 am  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

You certainly are a "stand up guy" as they might say in San Antonio.

All the best with it. I'm sure it will be worth the effort. Got to be happy to be able to travel and compete on any level I reckon.

8:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he'll be fine. if anything happens, i'll make sure he gets the texas treatment: jalapeƱo rub with a salsa mask.

9:39 am  
Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

I hope your hammie straightens up fast!

3:42 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

A few Aussie wines or margaritas at Susan's before the race will deaden the pain.

If you don't do the 3:15, I'll get Anton Chigurh to put you out of your misery.

7:23 pm  
Blogger strewth said...

Best of luck. Hope that hammie behaves itself and you have an awesome run and a wonderful experience!

8:37 pm  
Blogger Cynical Dirt Doll said...

Good luck! Have fun!! I'll be crossing my fingers for your injury to magically disappear overnight.

2:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home