Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Feel the pain

.... Mile 25 and I'm running when I shouldn't be running. Everything hurts, back, lungs, legs on fire, the Boston qualfying bus passed, but if I could just raise enough energy I could catch t. Brain calls to my engine room and the message comes back "I'm giving it everything I got, Cap'n". I keep pushng through when a sudden pain of acid fills my foot, the blister that was building since mile 8 gave way. I limp a little, but with less than a mile this isn't going to stop me. Passing mile 26 there are 385 yards to go ... round a corner and it is a long ramp with a mass of people lining the sides. The ramp goes up into the distance and round a corner hiding the finishing line. This must the cruelest marathon finish ever! I receive a cheer from Katy's mum and a few steps on I was shot in the middle of my left hamstring. This is not the suspect right hamstring pre-race. I think I saw a puff of smoke behind a grassy knoll. Magically, I could not see the exit wound and perhaps it could have been a cramp. I stopped, started to walk with the crowd encouraging me. I figure I could hop the last 200 yards. "Cone on, you're nearly there, not far to go". These are the same words of support I'd been hearing for the last 10 miles. Bless em, but mile 18 isn't "nearly there". I tried to raise my last jog/shuffle and I made the finish in 3:24. I lost a few minutes over the last mile or so. As I could hardly walk through the finishing area, I knew there was nothing more I could have done today.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea! You had enough at the end to carry all that free food, lift a few beers, and chow down some flautas.

And now? We attack San Antonio properly.

2:27 am  
Blogger 21stCenturyMom said...

Bravo!! You pushed through a hell of a lot of pain and you went sub 3:30. That has to be good - it just has to.

8:51 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

I was gunna say "Yippie kai-yay Cap'n!" but Katy has exposed you.

Good job ya'all!

6:12 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

I feel your pain of disappointment! We'll bag that 3:10 next time!

4:21 am  
Blogger thebellagreyhound said...

go you good thing!!
were you limping like omo?

6:25 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

I too am feeling your pain. But knowing you this is just the incentive you need to drive you to bigger and better things, things you can do such as a sub 3:10.

See ya soon Cap'n.

8:06 pm  
Blogger Samurai Running said...

That is a fantastic effort Toasty. All things being as they should have been an effort like that would have got you sub 3.

After the half dozen flautas, a few more months to nurse the added injuries and another 3 month build up you'll be ready for another attempt.

We'll be watching with interest.

11:51 pm  
Blogger Rob said...

Good on ya mate! Another one under the belt and wll under 3:30. Good training for Canberra.

8:28 pm  
Blogger mike said...

Toasty, it sounds like the battle of Stalingrad all over again...you need some serious R&R. Re-assess your goals & Recover properly that is.

10:57 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not a BQ, but a valiant performance nonetheless.

12:00 pm  
Blogger the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

ow - still, quite a good race in spite of the owies. think of it as training for the next one.

onward to the next one.

2:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home