Friday, July 28, 2006

More Running Stuff

In between carving beer cans and folding underwear, I have snuck in a couple of running session to where I have just about reached my weekly program for the Melbourne Marathon, October 8.



Saturday - Long Run 35K
Sunday - Recovery 10K
Monday - Tempo 12K
Tuesday - Run with Pat 11K
Wednesday Midweek Run 21K*
Thursday - Run with Pat 11K
Friday - Rest

Total 100K (62 miles)

* I haven't added the mid-week run yet and my last long run was only 29K so will be adding a few K's to that one as well.

One of the main challenges will be to train faster or else I can not expect an improved time ..... think about this .... yes I know, I'm a genius!

My 3K Time Trial needs to be 11:07 and if I race a Half, the target is 1:29:37 according to McMillan. Thinking this was a bit of a stretch I read this and reevaluated the possibility.

The Tempo is a 6K warmup with 5 minutes as fast as I can consistently go. The idea is to improve lactate threshold and just in case I'm drinking 4 coffees a day to improve my latte threshold (leaving nothing to chance). This is the most important of all my runs (the Tempo) and so far I have hit 20:34 for the 5K. I will try to stretch the Tempo through to 8K over the weeks.

Pat's runs have a variety of speed sessions with 1K reps, 500 x 6, 30 second efforts and the like. It fits in to the program nicely and I need the people around me to make it work. You can see me in his video which explains the whole deal.

August is Mesocycle 2 so I have basically got the Endurance bit (Mesocycle 1) sort of done, and now I am working on Lactate as per the Pfitzinger (kinda). The way I see it, I have a cycle each month ........

15 Comments:

Blogger Chelle said...

thats some serious training, with the added speed sessions and locked in schedule I have good vibes about Melbourne for you

6:59 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

So when are you going to do some serious training ;-)

8:57 pm  
Blogger Haight said...

Carving beer cans? I hope you enjoyed the process of emptying them. Post a pic of said cans.

Oh, and good luck on your monthly cycles. I wouldn't want you to miss one and get all nervous.

12:11 am  
Blogger Ginger Breadman said...

You'll do fabulous in @ Melbourne - the mind is a powerful thing.

1:49 am  
Blogger Bolder said...

as always wise one, top notch info here.

i've decided to up my latte threshold as well.

will report back on progress to the wise one.

2:17 am  
Blogger Black Knight said...

A cycle each month....so, which is your category?

12:11 am  
Blogger Rob said...

You seem to be taking this training pretty seriously Toasty. Are you aiming for a big PB in Melbourne?

1:36 pm  
Blogger Wobbly man said...

Big week there Toasty. Looking forward to catching up at MM.

2:13 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

latte threshold, nice.

Hope the program leads to a big PR at Melbourne.

6:01 am  
Blogger Tammy said...

Seeing all that pre-run stretching makes me cringe... but I'll save that for a Science-Geek Tuesday :)

6:15 am  
Blogger Robert Song said...

Thanks for the link to that awesome story of the Father and Son. Incredibly touching.

Also impressed with the training schedule. I guess you need that sort of intensity to get 3:09. Good Luck.

9:57 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Phew! At least i am improving my latte threshold - and I thought I ws slacking off!

10:12 pm  
Blogger *jeanne* said...

Latte threshold! LOL!

12:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

8:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home