Saturday, April 01, 2006

Week 11 - Announcing the offical start of Marathon Week

Total Ks: 38 versus plan of 50

1st run 10 K @ 4:33min/K ... this run started with Fanfare for the Common Man .... da da da .... da ... da .... daaaaa .... bomba bomba bomba bomba dum ..... da da da ... da ... da .... da ..... da .... dummmmm. I miss my Ipod ... sigh ... so the music remains in my head.

2nd run 12k blah ... @ 4:54/K (would have been longer except there was too much pain in my calf at the start of the run and as it wasn't going so well decided to cut it short)

3rd run .... blew it off and made an appointment with the Physiotherapist. The early progosis is an overuse injury of the soleus.

"The soleus muscle, which runs between the two heads of the big calf muscle, often takes more of a beating than the larger muscle because it acts first when you use your calf muscles. This injury is an overuse injury, plain and simple, and one that may have been aggravated by too much hill work."

I was going to post an anatomical diagram of the lower leg but hey "runs between the two heads of the big calf" ..... (the author in no way condones this event)



So 4th run .... I slept in ... an extra 4 hours sleep seem like a very good idea since I was "spent"/very tired, early on Friday night and a short snappy exchange with Ihatetoast convinced me I could do with a few extra hours. I also had alot of preparation before my run with stretches, hot pack and massage so the result .......

16K (10 mile) at 4:30 pace (or better, as Garmin got lost a few times) that's just over 7 min miles. But ...... no leg pain as experienced for the last 8 weeks ...... well made just a little .... but so much better.

I was so excited my Ick popped out along the way............

IcK, aka my Inner Kenyan, what were you thinking?

Average pace over the week 4:38 min/K

8 Comments:

Blogger Robert Song said...

As Randy Newman said in his song "Sigmund Freud's Impersonation Of Albert Einstein In America":

Americans dream of gypsies, I have found
And gypsy knives and gypsy thighs
That pound and pound and pound and pound
And African appendages that almost reach the ground
And little boys playing baseball in the rain.

4:40 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

Man i hope my Ick comes along with me on my run today ;)

Hope your calf feels 100% for the marathon!

8:59 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Whew, you had me worried there for a minute.

Have an easy week buddy, work's been done.

I might just see you on the start line :-)

10:47 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

Hmm... soleus does NOT run between the heads of gastrocnemius, he lies beneath it! I know... trust me... I've seen it up close and personal. :)

I was hoping to find my inner Kenyan this weekend, since I built up a high hematocrit over the past week, but alas, getting too excited about leg pressing 200 lbs and hurting your knee... not smart. sigh.

1:30 am  
Blogger Chelle said...

Dont you feel naughty when you swap a run with a lie-in, but isnt it great :)

6:33 pm  
Blogger Black Knight said...

At last a nice pictures: the animals in Pamplona for the first time defeat the men!
During the marathon you are the bull but after........take care the butchers are everywhere!

10:52 pm  
Blogger *jeanne* said...

Sometimes a sleep-in is the best training. Hard as that is to BELIEVE, it is SO.

:-)

12:46 am  
Blogger psbowe said...

Better off getting completely rested!

don't really like bulls, especially with picture like that!

3:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home