Thursday, December 15, 2005

Garage Sailing

Last Saturday we headed out around the neighbourhood in search of a Whipper Snipper, Pottery Water Jug and a Lamp. This not what we came home with.

First garage sale was in the garage itself, fancy that. There was alot of dusty items which included a box of 70's fashion magazines. "Take the Whole Box" they pleaded. Katy took 2 to reacquaint herself with big hair, sideburns and satin shirts. Scorecard - Money spent $0.

Next we found another place where "all the good stuff had gone". Strangely, there are many of these places. The old woman, tending the remains after "all the good stuff had gone", was propped up on her porch in an old chair with a cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth. Quickly exitting, I noticed an Whipper Snipper on the lawn. "Does it work?" .... "Used to but not since awhile back" ... "Give to you for a $1" .... "oh dunno" ..... "take it" ... "ok!". Scorecard still $0.

There were a number of in and outs empty handed. Katy picked up 2 pieces of tupperware from a guy for 20 cents. After an hour or so, Scorecard $0.20 for 3 items.

The only other place with a transaction saw us end up with a island knife block bench on casters .... seen them for $100 in the shops ... this guy ... and friends I mean this guy who was completely over the whole garage sale thing had $10 on a sticker .... a short private whispering with Katy and I said "will you take $5?" .... "alright" ... so I put my had in my pocket pulling out all my coins .... "how about $4.85" ... a nod and we concluded our final transaction.

Final Score - $5.05 and left the lamp and pottery water jug on the list for next time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

Hey, I'm coming with you next time! I can't resist a bargain and there's some spare storage space in my garage for stuff I don't need.

8:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This boy enjoys haggling more than running. I think his ideal race would be a marathon with garage sales instead of water stations. Who needs hydration when you dicker down?

9:58 am  
Blogger Toasty said...

Whilst doing the Kurrawa run along the highway I noticed a Garage Sale .... it was a quick glance but I decided that it wasn't worth stopping for. I forgot about it until just now.

1:34 pm  
Blogger kt said...

i like the name of your blog!
hey did you notice you named your post 'garage SAILing' yet you're writing about garage SALE-ing? (saling..is that a word?) IT just struck me funny! sailing in a garage.
anyhoo, i see your comments on some of the blogs i visit, decided to check your's out.
i love australia..tho never been. WOULD LOVE TO GO!!
God bless!

8:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home