Monday, November 28, 2005

Sammy to the Rescue






This is sort of like those clever movies where you jump around and the scenes don't run in sequence .... except not that clever.

So let me take you back to 4 days before the Columbus marathon. Mark and Katy are driving from Dallas to Columbus and decide to stay with Lynn and Sammy in the lower parts of Illinois near the Mississippi River. Sammy leaves a witches hat (traffic cone) outside so we know which house it is and Lynn makes a really yummy dinner only to tell me afterwards that carbo loading should only be done 48 hours before the race. Sammy is a brilliant sports mind and has taken college basketball teams, football, athletics, etc from losing seasons to world beaters through motivation, science and magic. So it's no surprise that with a marathon looming Katy & I take as much in as we can. Lynn and Sammy are sensational people and made us feel at home and to this day I'm not sure if we didn't get the master bedroom for the night.

The next morning we head off armed with the inspirational words of positive thoughts from Sammy.

@!#(!@*#!@ These are my magical special effects that takes you back to the 18 mile stage of the marathon with Mark watching the 3:10 pace group disappear over the hill leaving nothing but a trail of dust.

My legs have died .... I've traveled half-way around the world and blown my race. But then "Sammy to the Rescue"!!!! I wipe away my negative thoughts and slowly tough it through the next mile or so with a little break to stretch the legs. It seems the stretch does the trick and before long I'm cruising just a little off pace but under 8 minute miles. Now it's time to chase the old dude wearing the american flag pants. Shoulder to shoulder we stride through the suburban streets with people calling "I like your shorts". I turn to my butt flag waving buddy and let him know "that was for me!"

Spirits were high until the Columbus residents played two cruel tricks in the closing stages of the race .....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sammy taught me about visualization, but i had no time to come up wtih a visual for my goal. i did know i needed a visual. for me it was the greyhound i saw and hugged at mile 12. when i was hurting, i just remembered the face of that exracer telling me that if i finish, i could become a retired couch potato.
granted, i am not a cp, but i appreciated the offer and the visual made me smile and forget my pain.

1:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Baird investment co. Intermediate accounting chapter 10 answers adult fanatasy cartoons konstanz auto haus navigation Medication given to get off oxycontin lasik performance parts oldsmobile 307

5:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home