Saturday, February 25, 2006

Week 6 - Cooked

It took me awhile to get going this morning, since this was a solo run. The forecast was for rain and overcast .... it wasn't. In short I was cooked, so decided to cut my long run to 21K.

Total Ks 60 versus plan of 88
Hill Workout 12K at 4:54 min/K (turns out to be my fastest despite a slow start.)
Yasso's were achieve at 6 x 800 in 2:55 min each.
Mid-week run up to 21K @ 5:00 min/K
Long Run 21K @ 5:05 min/K
Average pace over the week 5:00 min/K

I dropped my 12K tempo run out altogether as I was tired. There has been quite a bit going on with work and other things.

As I ran today I kept note of my thoughts. I started with a limp or a hobble as my lower right leg aches to start the run. It is something I don't know how to stretch or warm up as it isn't my calf or shin ...... it is more to the side of my lower leg and half way between my knee and foot. Early into the run, I ran past a long legged tanned woman wearing extremely brief shiny shorts and bikini top, at the same moment a car/truck passed, full of guys yelling out of the window at her. It is very Gold Coast ...... as were the groups of twenty something blokes drinking beer at 10:30 AM, ogling and talking a strange car engine dialect that I have never learnt. Also along the path that borders the beach, I also passed groups of japanese attending surfing lessons and hoards of cyclists most likely preparing for the triathlon next week.

After 40 minutes I was running freely and enjoying it. There was enough shadows and a breeze to keep the conditions pleasant. Another 30 minutes later, I was under direct sunshine and the air was still. Although I was still feeling good, I knew my core temperature was rising to the overheating stage and energy was being sapped. I could have stuck through a full long run of about 35K but decided it would completely wipe me out for the rest of the day. Sort of like this ....... (what I see to my right as I type) ...



So considering we are going out tonight and will be up early in the morning there seemed little point pushing it. I did however have a nice swim in the surf after my run. There is a sting across my shoulders from too much sun, so another hour out there would have been bad from that perspective as well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

We missed you this morn. We figured you were doing some secret training.

At brekky after our run the rest of us marathoners were saying how we're feeling much the same as yourself. Maybe too well toasted ;-)

Hope the leg's okay ... I'm talking about yours and not the one/s belonging to the sun tanned babe.

7:07 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Sometimes it makes sense to cut short a run especially in the heat. Sounds like you had a good running week anyway and there's always next week!

Loved the photo! I think I was doing something similar (sans dogs) this afternoon on the couch!

8:22 pm  
Blogger Tammy said...

Good call.

Um, I do hope, that you weilded your freshly sharpened axe and promptly removed the heads of those "blokes" who lingually attacked said runner. I do hope.

1:40 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

"too much sun" Am I supposed to feel sorry for you that you have this problem? I am ready for Spring and warmer weather.

9:43 am  
Blogger Clairie said...

I'm hearing you Mark....I was totally knackered on Saturday that for the first time ever...wait for it......I didn't WANT To run.

Oh well I did - ended up doing a painful 10km. Not that I was sore. Just tired and "could not be bothered". Got that all sorted out with this mornings run. So I think there is certainly something in the air as everyone seems to be feeling the same.

Next week - 35-38km and a big grin all the way. That's my plan!!

7:54 pm  
Blogger E-Speed said...

awwe your dogs are so cute!

the sun burn was probably draining you too.

put on lots of sunblock!

8:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home